One of the main causes of rough, dry and brittle hair is inability of the hair cuticle to retain any moisture. Fortunately, there are many ways in which you can attain soft hair. This does not necessarily mean that you need to spend a fortune on expensive salon treatments or products. Some hair softening remedies can easily be prepared at home.
Home Remedies to Soften Hair
- Hot olive oil treatments: Natural oils are extremely beneficial and hot oil treatments are very effective in moisturizing hair. Warm a quarter cup of extra virgin olive oil and apply it to shampooed hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and let the oil stay on your head for at least fifteen minutes, before rinsing it off. If your hair is excessively dry, do not rinse the oil off completely but leave some of it in your hair.
- Deep conditioning: Moisturize your hair regularly using a good conditioner. Just before you go to bed, wet your hair and apply a conditioner on the damp hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and allow the conditioner to stay overnight. This will help in repairing damaged hair and would also help to soften your hair.
- Eggs: The yolks of eggs contain proteins and vitamins that not only condition your hair, but also prevent hair loss. Mix two egg yolks in a cup of water and add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Apply this mixture on your hair. Massage it for five minutes and then cover your head with a shower cap. Allow the mixture to stay on for at least fifteen minutes, before rising it off with cool or tepid water. Never wash your hair with hot water, after applying eggs.
- Vinegar: Vinegar can balance the pH levels in your hair, thereby making it softer. Rinse your hair with a cup of vinegar, mixed with a cup of water every day. After shampooing your hair, rinse the shampoo off with the vinegar-water mixture. There is no need to worry about the lingering smell of vinegar in your hair. The smell normally disappears in about fifteen minutes.
- Castor oil: This oil is known to improve the texture of hair, by making it softer and silkier. Use castor oil to wash your hair once a week. Mix a quarter cup of castor oil in the same amount of water and wash your hair with the solution. Massage the solution into your wet hair thoroughly and then rinse it off. Rinsing your hair with castor oil will leave your hair soft and smooth.